The Canadian Fairtrade Awards recognize the vision, leadership, and tireless commitment to sustainable trade of the Canadian fair trade grassroots and business community.
The Fairtrade Awards are Changing!
This year, the Canadian Fairtrade Awards will look a little different, with a shift from best-in-class model to values-driven recognition. The updated awards categories will reflect the diverse strengths the Canadian fair trade community brings to the table in our collective effort to grow the impact for producers in the Global South and position Canada as a leader in sustainable trade.
What does this mean for my Fair Trade Program group, Business, or Retailer?
- We have worked to simplify the application process by reducing the number of questions and focusing on in-depth qualitative responses.
- Fair Trade Program groups, licensees, traders, and retailers can now apply for multiple awards categories within their respective area (i.e., business or community).
- We are opening up our community awards to fair trade groups actively working on Fair Trade Program designation.
- The time period for activities, campaigns, promotions, etc. will now fall under the calendar year. So the eligibility period for this year’s Awards is from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019.
- Read more in our Q&A or more detailed explanation.
- November 7, 2019: Fairtrade Awards application process launch
- December 5, 2019: Deadline to submit applications
- December 11, 2019 - January 6, 2020: Judging process
- January 13, 2020: Winners notified
- March 12-14, 2020: National Fair Trade Conference in Calgary
- March 14, 2020: Canadian Fairtrade Awards
People’s Choice Award - Fairtrade All-Star
The Fairtrade All-Star Award recognizes an individual for their outstanding contributions to the Canadian fair trade movement, strong advocacy for trade justice, the promotion of Fairtrade certified products in their community, and the championing of the values espoused by the global fair trade movement.
The nominees for the Fairtrade All-Star Award will be selected in collaboration with our partners at the Canadian Fair Trade Network and L'Association québécoise du commerce équitable.
Once our 3 nominees have been selected, we are putting the final vote up to you, our fair trade community, in our first ever people’s choice award!
Before making your selection, take the time to read each nominee’s story, what makes them passionate about fair trade, and how they have worked to mobilize their community in advocating for trade justice and the rights of workers and farmers in the Global South to live a life of dignity and prosperity.
Nominees will be announced soon.
Chris Oluoch - Head of Region– Eastern & Central Africa Network, Fairtrade Africa
Adria Vasil - Managing Digital Editor, Corporate Knights
Joé St-Germain - Chargé de projet aux certifications Cégep Vert du Québec et CPE durable, ENvironnement JEUnesse
The below is a summary. Please read our DETAILED RULES carefully before proceeding with a nomination.
- Only responses relating to the FAIRTRADE Mark will be considered.
- Nominations can be made businesses and community groups for themselves, or an individual can nominate any such entity.
- The time period for consideration is the 2019 calendar year.
PAST WINNERS OF THE CANADIAN FAIRTRADE AWARDS