Fairtrade Canada is a national, non profit fair trade certification organization, and the only Canadian member of Fairtrade International. What we do can be broken down into three main categories:
Fairtrade Canada is responsible for certifying that Canadian products bearing the FAIRTRADE certification Mark meet international Fairtrade Standards. The entire supply chain is monitored and audited from the producer until the final point of packaging.
We license Canadian companies to use the FAIRTRADE Mark on their products, and ensure that they abide by strict standards. It is of paramount importance that this Mark not be used in a way that is misleading to the public.
We work alongside community groups, companies, and individual citizens to educate about fair trade and Fairtrade certified products. Through partnerships, campaigns, promotional materials, events, and media engagement, we help Canadians understand what we do and build momentum so more producers can sell more of their products on fair terms.
What we stand for
Our Fairtrade Standards are known for their rigour and highly credible development process. We regularly consult all stakeholders – including farmers, traders, businesses and NGOs – to evaluate and update our Standards in an open and transparent process.
Key components of our Standards are:
- Fairtrade Minimum Price – a guaranteed price to protect producers when market prices fall
- Fairtrade Premium – additional funds for producers to invest in community or business development projects
- Democratic decision-making by producers
- Long-term, dependable contracts with buyers
- Sustainable environmental practices
- Adherence to core International Labour Organization conventions